Campus Assembly Dates for Spring 2016 Announced
The Steering Committee has scheduled the following Campus Assembly meetings during the spring semester:
- Wednesday, February 17
- Wednesday, March 23
- Thursday, April 21
Assembly meetings begin at 4:30 p.m. in the Science Auditorium (2950). All members of the campus community may submit business to the Steering Committee for its consideration as agenda items.
Essential Deadlines for Spring 2016 Awards Announced
Please mark your calendars for essential spring award deadlines. For more information please contact Functions and Awards committee chair Elena Machkasova.
- Scholar of the College: February 22, 2016
- Allen W. Edson Award: March 11, 2016
- Mary Martelle Award: March 11, 2016
- Edith Rodgers Farrell Memorial Award for Undergraduate Research: March 11, 2016
- Morris Student Sustainability Champion Award: March 11, 2016
- Curtis H. Larson Award: March 11, 2016
Nominations Sought: UMM Academic Staff and Community Engagement Awards
Sponsored by the Chancellor's Office, the UMM Academic Staff Award was established to recognize a member of the Academic Professional and Administrative (P&A) staff who has made distinguished contributions to the mission of the University of Minnesota, Morris. Nominations are due Monday, March 9, at 4:30 p.m. MASA Award nomination information
Members of the campus community also are invited to nominate students, faculty/staff members, and community partners for the annual Community Engagement Awards. The deadline for nominations is Monday, February 22.
Register Now: Legislative Kickoff Breakfast
Please join University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler as well as faculty, alumni, and student leaders for the 2016 University of Minnesota Legislative Kickoff Breakfast on Wednesday, February 24, from 7:30–9 a.m. in the McNamara Alumni Center (Memorial Hall, 200 Oak Street SE, Minneapolis). Learn about the University's capital and supplemental budget requests, find out how these legislative proposals will affect you and, most importantly, learn how you can influence lawmakers. Continental breakfast will be served.
Student Organic Gardening Club Celebrates Outstanding Season
The Student Organic Gardening Club has much to celebrate after its 2015 growing season. The club:
- Harvested more than 2,400 pounds of vegetables at the on-campus garden
- Implemented two bee hives and established an expansion to the main garden
- Gave the majority of harvested produce to Sodexo for use at the Dining Hall
- Helped clean up a garden at the Heartland Girls Ranch
- Sold pumpkins, squash, garlic, coriander, and honey
- Donated food to Morris Community Meals
- Co-hosted a Co-ops 101 workshop
In the News
Forbord Talks Food Skills with Minnesota Food Charter
Mary Jo Forbord, Morris Healthy Eating coordinator, discussed food skills with Minnesota Food Charter. "From my perspective, food skills are about having the sufficient and appropriate knowledge to prepare healthy, ecologically-sound, and culturally-appropriate foods," she says.
Asche Makes Appearance at Minnesota Newspaper Association Convention
Kelly Asche, Center for Small Towns program coordinator, is mentioned in the Morris Sun Tribune's "Talking it Over: Rural Re-enforcement." Asche recently spoke at a session of the 2016 Minnesota Newspaper Association Convention.